Extending Station Pointer
Fantastic example of a high quality station pointer dating from the early 20th century. They were used by hydrographic surveyors for fixing positions from shore features before taking a sounding. They were invented by Admiralty Surveyor, Murdoch Mackenzie, in 1774.
This example was manufactured by Stanley and is engraved "Stanley. London." The pointer is made of brass and metal?? The three legs extend and are fixed in place with brass screws. There is a paper circle with a rotating middle which reads "with the compliments of Edgar Simmons". It is full of notations regarding the solution of triangles, presumably to assist when using the pointer.
The set is contained within a fitted wooden case, designed for safe transit when travelling. There are also slots in the case which enable the pointer to be stood up.
Diameter of Circle : 5 1/4"
Length : 14 1/2"
Extended Length : 27"
It is in excellent original condition. There is some slight tarnishing to the brass but it displays very well and has clearly been very well looked after. The best description comes from the photos so please look at them all carefully and if you have any questions at all please ask.