Patt.70 Station Pointer
by H.Hughes & Son
Fantastic example of a high quality station pointer dating from the early 20th century. They were used by hydrographic surveyors for fixing positions from shore features before taking a sounding. They were invented by Admiralty Surveyor, Murdoch Mackenzie, in 1774.
This example was manufactured by H.Hughes & Son Ltd and is engraved "H.Hughes & Son Ltd. London. No.3505". On the end of the central arm it is marled "Patt.70". The pointer is made of brass and the arms move around the circumference of the circle to take the readings. The set is contained within a fitted wooden case, designed for safe transit when travelling.
Diameter of Circle : 6 1/2" (16cm)
Length : 18" (46cm)
It is in excellent original condition. There is some slight tarnishing to the brass but it displays very well and has clearly been very well looked after. The box is good and strong with just a few minor knocks and scuffs and a small split in the wood at the bottom (see photo) but nothing detrimental.
The best description comes from the photos so please look at them all carefully and if you have any questions please ask.